Any workout is better than no workout, so take the information in this article with a grain of salt. However, if you have the option of not working out first thing in the morning, then by all means take it.
So here is why working out first thing in the morning is a bad idea:
1. Your discs are loaded with liquid: Right when you wake up, you are the tallest you will be during the day. This happens because the discs in your lower back are full of liquid. If you do a lot of bending or strenuous exercise right when you wake up, you are at more risk for lower back injury.
2. Your body is in breakdown mode: You have been starving for an entire night and your body is feeding off of fumes. Now the best way to reverse this is by having a nice and hearty breakfast. However, if you skimp on breakfast and simply start eating, you will further worsen this breakdown state.
3. You de-optimize hormonal sensitivities for the entire day: Your hormones are a little imbalanced when you wake up. The best way to rebalance them is by having a large breakfast. If you don’t and start exercising ASAP, you will worsen this imbalance.
4. The functioning of your joints is subpar: You see, when you wake, your joints aren’t fully lubricated. Just like the gears in your car need oil, your joints need certain biological lubricants to reduce wear and tear. If you start exercising immediately upon waking, you don’t give your joints enough time to get lubed up.
5. Your body temperature is not at its optimal level: This happens because your core temperature is at its lowest when you wake up. And increasing temperature is the best thing you can do to speed things up, from fat burning to strength output.
If you absolutely have to work out first thing in the morning, then by all means proceed. Just make sure you have a liquid meal and incorporate a robust warm up period. At the very least, this will mitigate a lot of the negative side effects.
Author Katherine Crawford, an exercise physiologist and former arm fat sufferer, teaches women how to get rid of arm fat swiftly. Unearth how to get sexy and toned arms by exploring her blog about how to shake weight right now!