Vintage engagement rings are precious heirlooms that can be passed on to future generations. They are unique and usually sentimental symbols of faith, love, fidelity, promise and commitment. As a symbol of commitment by two people who promised to love each other and be together through good times and bad, the vintage engagement ring serves as a seal to the promises made. Vintage engagement rings are also considered eternity rings to show that the vows taken are forever.
Vintage engagement rings are perfect for those who love things that are old and antique. They can either be authentic antique rings or rings that were designed to look old, but they cannot look new or modern. There are different types of vintage engagement rings and here are three of the most popular types.
Victorian engagement rings
One of the rarest vintage engagement rings is the Victorian engagement ring. Victorian engagement rings are those that were made between 1837 and 1901 when diamonds were popularly used in engagement rings. They were made from yellow gold or silver with diamonds, rubies or sapphires.
Edwardian engagement rings
Edwardian engagement rings existed between the years of 1901 to 1920. These rings were made from platinum, instead of gold. Instead of diamonds, sapphires were used as the main gemstone. Diamonds were just used as side-stones.
Art Deco engagement rings
Art Deco engagement rings existed between 1920 and 1930. These are geometrically shaped rings covered with diamonds. These rings were often made with platinum and were styled with an odd, boxy look. They were also set with diamonds and other colorful stones.
Those who are very modern may not like vintage engagement ring. However, here are some reasons why this ring offers lots of advantages:
1. Vintage engagement rings can be used as heirlooms. Most vintage engagement rings are precious heirlooms that have been passed down for generations. They have that classic beauty and elegance.
2. Vintage engagement rings usually have sentimental values, which new and modern rings cannot offer. They are attached with stories, tradition and history.
3. Vintage engagement rings are more unique compared to new and modern rings. And such unique style makes them actually stand-out above the rest. Also, these rings come in odd and unique styles that make them even more stunning.
Some were made of stones that have bold colors, while others were designed with a harshly geometric and symmetrical theme. There are vintage engagement rings that are absolutely stunning and with immaculate designs. There are those with large constructions of stones and metals.
4. Vintage engagement rings are less expensive than new and modern engagement rings, but, they have the same quality as the new ones.
5. Vintage engagement rings have stood the test of time, which means they are proven strong and durable. This is very important, especially if they are meant to be passed on to the next generations.
There are a few things to remember when looking for vintage engagement rings to avoid being tricked or being cheated. Here are some:
1. Look for vintage engagement rings in reputable antique stores or dealers. Do not be deceived. Beware of unscrupulous sellers who may offer you well versed sales tactics to lure into buying one antique ring or any vintage collection item. Their jobs are basically to get buyers pay thousands or hundreds of dollars for fake or worthless vintage engagement rings.
2. Make sure that the ring is certified vintage. You can go to a gemologist and ask for certified information on the rings size, age, clarity, color, and size.
3. Check the stones for cracks. If the stones on the vintage engagement ring are diamonds, then you wont have any problem as diamonds are the hardest of all gemstones. Other gemstones, including pearls, are much more fragile, so it is very important to check for cracks.
4. When you are on a tight budget but desire to find a vintage diamond engagement ring, find rings that have smaller diamond setting. Search for vintage diamond rings made during the 1930s if you want smaller diamonds that looks larger. These rings were ornamentally decorated with carvings that will make the stones look larger.
vintage-engagementrings.net offers absolutely stunning vintage engagement rings of timeless styles you can treasure forever. Our extensive ranges of select exquisite quality vintage engagement rings are offered at discounted and exciting prices on eBay and Amazon.
Author Fred Gagnon is an expert on providing tips and information on jewelries. He owns a wide collection of beautiful, glamorous and chic jewelries. To learn more about jewelries, accessories, precious metals and gemstones, visit Engagement Rings and Sapphire Engagement Rings.