Our lips are susceptible to damage from a number of elements such as changes in the temperature and humidity, as well as seasonal changes. This can result in dry and chapped lips that can cause much discomfort and pain. Fortunately, there are a number of methods one can utilize to heal chapped lips.
1. Using an organic lip balm is a great way to heal dry, damaged, and chapped lips. Organic lip balms can contain such ingredients as cocoa butter, beeswax, jojoba oil, sunflower oil, candelilla wax, an organic flavor such as lemon balm, Vitamin E, organic tea tree oil, camphor, calendula, Vitamin A, rosemary extract, L-lysine, and more. Organic means they do not contain harmful chemicals and additives. Products that contain the USDA Organic Seal are certified organic. Organic balm soothes, moisturizers, hydrates, cools, and heals chapped skin. It is important to avoid too much use of chemically manufactured skin products, including mass produced manufactured cosmetics and flavored lip balms.
2. It is important to eat foods that are high in vitamins and minerals. Flax seed oil, calcium and magnesium are important nutrients to keeping the lips healthy. Healthy foods include almonds, milk, legumes, nuts, whole grains, yogurt, cheese, beans, cereal high in flax seed oil, and salmon.
3. Take a multivitamin supplement. Lack of B vitamins can be a cause of chapped lips. Also, if you have vitamin E capsules poke a tiny hole in a capsule and apply the oil to your lips.
4. Drink plenty of water daily. Experts recommend drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Drinking warm beverages helps to add moisture to the lips and increase circulation. Avoid caffeine and alcohol which causes skin dehydration.
5. Avoid lip balms that will cause you to lick your lips. Flavored lip balms are one form of lip balm that should be avoided.
6. Apply a lip balm before you go to bed. This will heal, nourish, and hydrate your lips while you sleep.
7. If the indoor air is quite dry, use a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
8. Wear a lip balm when you are outdoors. Use a lip balm that contains a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or more before you expose your lips to the sun. Dont wear lip balms that contain phenol or camphor because they are strong antiseptics that can irritate the skin and cause redness.
9. When you are having a hot shower, use a washcloth and a bit of sugar to gently pat your lips. This will help remove dead skin and smooth the surface of the skin. After you leave the shower, apply a lip balm
Dry, chapped, and sore lips are not only painful, but are not very attractive. By implementing a healthy diet with a quality lip balm in your daily skin care program, you can heal your lips and keep them smooth, soft, and supple. Although healing chapped lips is a common problem for many people, it is a problem that can be cured.